I would be lying if I said I didn’t obsess trying to find THE perfect cocktail for this Christmas season. After many hours of googling and deep, personal reflection (at the liquor store), I landed on a Pear and Ginger Rum Punch, laced with a nutty spank of amaretto.
The drink is strong (hello, it has dark rum in it…), it’s nutty from the amaretto, sweet from the pear juice and spicy from the fresh grated ginger. I test-drove the recipe among friends at a cocktail party the other night and it went over well. I added a seltzer water floater to ensure it didn’t taste too sweet, and added a cranberry and crystallized ginger skewer as garnish (too cute, I know!)
Here’s the approximate recipe for this lil’ festive drank.
Makes 1 crazy strong cocktail:
- 1.5 oz dark rum (Meyers, Mount gay)
- 3/4 oz amaretto (go for Luxardo, not Disaronno. It’s cheaper and made with 100% almond)
- 2 oz pear juice (Ceres brand preferred)
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger (peel away skin and use a micro plane/ fine zester.)
- Soda/seltzer water
- Garnish: crystallized ginger and dried cranberry on a toothpick